1/22/2015

Why I Want to Get Married Young

There are a million or two articles out there today about why certain people are glad they got married young. And there are just as many articles giving reasons as to why you shouldn't.

So why am I engaged at 19?

Here is my take on young marriage.

Trevor and I will be getting married on August 2, 2015.
He will be 21 and I will be 20.
He will have finished three years in college and I will have finished two.
Many people have suggested we push the wedding off until we are done with school. Even family members have told us to do so. They claim we will have more money to live off of then.
I beg to differ. At that time we will be paying off student loans and will never have any time when there is not a payment due.

Another thing.
Many people have asked if I know that Trevor is actually "the one".
Personally I do not believe that there is one single person out there for every person.
I do not think it is predestined who you will fall in love with and spend your days with.
God has given us the ability to love. And I think you can love anyone.
I am in love with Trevor and he is my best friend. So yes, I know he is the one I want to marry. No part of me doubts that in any way.
He is the one I want to spend my life with and to wake up next to every morning.
I am certainly not getting married purely for the reason of wanting to have sex (as was suggested by a lady cutting my hair when she found out I am 19 and engaged).

Am I worried that we'll ever get divorced?
NO.
We are both God-loving people. We have a healthy relationship now. And I do not doubt that if our relationship were ever to fall apart we would seek help from a pastor or counselor.
We are also doing pre-marital counseling with the pastor that will be marrying us. We took this awesome questionnaire and will be using it to guide conversation during our sessions. Personally, I am quite excited!

If my thoughts on getting married young aren't enough for you--that's okay.
I know marriage isn't for everyone. And certainly not for some people that are younger.
But I do urge you to not be afraid of it.

Also,
Here are some more interesting articles:
5 Good Reasons to Get Married Young--> I only like point number 5.
Hey Young People: Now's the Time to Get Married and Have Kids--> No, we're not going to have kids right away!
Marrying young...And why you need to shut your mouth about it

No comments:

Post a Comment