5/11/2014

Mother's Day 2014

As my first year of college comes to a rapid end, I celebrate my first Mother's Day away from home.
My family has never really done much to celebrate Mother's or Father's Day to be honest. We normally just say they get to pick where we go to eat and what we do for the day. Normally that means napping and watching a movie.
Being away from home however, it feels kind of strange.
Yeah, I made a nice Instagram collage of pictures of us together, but our relationship is so much more than that.
My mom and I have had a hard relationship. I've screwed up a lot. Through high school I was always jealous of the girls who had their moms as their best friends and could tell them anything. I never really felt like that. But as I'm sitting here and reflecting about it. I really think we could have had a relationship like that. The things I did talk about with her, even just briefly, tended to be deep and serious. Things you would only discuss with a best friend. So maybe our relationship is better than I was willing to admit. I'm not sure, but hopefully we grow closer this summer, after nine months apart.
I love you mom, even when I don't seem like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment