7/24/2011

Thoughts From Church

I've been Lutheran my whole life. I think I usually take this for granted and my mind will drift off during church. I know that's not a good thing, as our faith is to be continually nourished and growing. Today I really paid attention. I even have notes to prove it!
The epistle lesson was from Romans 8 and has one of my favorite verses in it:
"If God is for us, who can be against us?"
This is one of my favorites because we sing a song based on the verse in chapel a lot. I love that song, and it's such a great reminder that with God on our side we have no enemies.
The Gospel lesson was from Matthew 13 and dealt with a few parables. My dad is the pastor at my church and I personally think this was one of his best sermons. He talked about how in Matthew 13 these parable are talking about specific things.
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it"
This is talking about how we all search the world for something special. It varies from person to person, but a common thing that is sought is religion. Did you know that when it comes to religions, Christianity is the only religion where God does everything for us, we do nothing to earn his love. The pearl of religions is Christianity, no matter the denomination, and we are to cling to that pearl.
"Again the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea and gathered fish of every kind. When it was full, men drew it ashore and sat down and sorted the good into containers but threw away the bad. So it will be at the close of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
This is saying the Word is for everyone. As was Jesus' death on the cross. Jesus' love on the cross is for everyone and is to be shared with everyone. No exceptions. We are to be witnesses and show His same love. 
Our response to His love, is to live a life of joy. We are His witnesses, let your light shine in all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment