4/22/2014

Faith, Hope, Love

1 Corinthians 13:13,
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
I'm currently attempting to study for my New Testament test I have tomorrow morning, it isn't going to well. I'm rereading the materials and came across a page from our booklet discussing this verse. Not many verses get a whole page dedicated to them, that's one way you know they should be important to you.
The page digests each component: faith, hope, and love.

Faith

  • the trust which takes us beyond ourselves
  • focuses on someone else and though everything in our life rides upon it, it rests this load on another
  • is content with the wisdom, power, and strength of that other One
  • lets Him think and act, He plans and protects, and we're content
  • our tie with God which moves us to Him and accepts His view of us


Hope

  • the never conquered virtue
  • is elastic
  • knows no time limit to its hopefulness
  • never says, "I was wrong to hope. There is nothing good, no time left, no way out, nothing that can be done."
  • always has time yet to come
  • always believes that tomorrow may come with good, a good built even on the ruins of today
  • believes that there is a way out, even when we can't see it
  • our tie with God by which we agree with Him that the world was good in its beginning and that its end will be better still
Love
  • the one which defies all expectations
  • laughs at all explanations
  • can't answer why it loves, and never feels it has to
  • accepts what it has been given to love
  • the breath of God into lifeless clay
  • His desire to make someone who is like Him and to love Him when He is far away
  • accepts being loved and knows there is no good reason
  • laughs when others try to find cause and knows He had none
  • our tie with God because love is faith and love is hope
It doesn't get much deeper than this.
If I were half the person Paul was, I would be beyond happy with my life. I only hope that God may use me in the way He has planned, and that my own goals do not interfere with His design.

No comments:

Post a Comment