6/22/2014

Young Adult Freedom..or Lack Of.

I'm 19.
I am not a child anymore.
I may not be able to drink alcohol legally yet, but I have obtained many other "adult" rights and freedoms over a year ago.

So why do my parents treat me like I am still in high school? Or even younger than that?

Last night I got home a little too late (I don't have a curfew, and never did). So this morning I had this conversation with my mom
Where were you last night?
Trevor's.
(She knows his mom and sisters are out of town.) Doesn't his dad work at night?
Yes.
So you were there alone?
For a bit.
Did you spend the whole time there?
No, we went to dinner at Applebee's for a while.
What did you do while you were at his house?
Watched a couple of movies.
Okay...well I don't want you two to put yourself in tempting situations.

I walked away.

I'm 19.
I have the ability to make my own decisions, whether they're bad or not.
My parents probably will treat me like this until I move out, which, if all goes as planned, will be early next summer.
I can't wait to be in Saint Paul for the school year and to have some time away from my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment