2/16/2015

PLUS Time

Last semester I was working pretty consistently at PLUS Time. Playful Learning with University Students. It's an after school program for kids in kindergarten through 5th grade at an apartment complex near to Concordia.

I continued working there as this semester began. However, things were different.
Last semester I was a student worker. There was no dispute about this at all.
As this semester began, a new supervisor came into play. He was less reliable than the other two supervisor. He also happened to be supervising Tuesdays, my main day there. I brought up some of his areas he needed to work on to our faculty advisor, so they could be worked on. However, her response was to make me "back up supervisor," meaning when he couldn't make it last second, I was to be in charge. This shifted quickly to me being supervisor completely.
Now supervisors are paid an extra dollar an hour ($9.00), but you also attend two hour and a half meetings and must also have extensive lesson plans for each of the days you supervise. As a future teacher, I love to develop lesson plans. But not for this particular group of students.
At PLUS Time, it is a large group of diverse students. This diversity is not only ethnically, but religiously, and age as well. There are also a few students who are extremely hard to work with.
As much as I know my experience at PLUS Time will strengthen me for my future classroom, I also question how diverse my future classroom will be. I am an LCT (Lutheran Classroom Teacher) minor, which means I will receive a call when I graduate Fall 2017. I will be in a Lutheran classroom. This will eliminate quite a bit of religious diversity. I am not saying there will be no diversity, but I highly doubt the levels of diversity I will experience will be to the heightened extremes as are found at PLUS Time.

I recently emailed my faculty advisor saying I cannot work there anymore. I did not want to become supervisor because I already have a lot on my plate. I am a full time student. I work at Noodles. I am planning my wedding. I am interviewing for program this semester. I need time for Trevor. AND I need time for myself.
I have become overcommitted here and needed to regain my sense of time management. So that is what I have done.

I will miss some of these kids though.


















No comments:

Post a Comment