5/21/2013

Mise en Scene

While I did not think I would write a post about an assignment within my last week of being a high schooler, here it is..
I'm currently working on an assignment for my college writing class. The topic: scene analysis. In film terms, mise en scene. 
The idea behind mise en scene is that everything in the frame of a shot has a purpose for being there and helps develop a better, and more in depth story. While the examples used in class(Little Miss Sunshine, Big Fish, Catching Hell, and Friday Night Lights) were not always the most exciting or I would miss a lot of it. I thought I would probably struggle a lot with this project because of the in class work we had done.
So starting off, I had to find a film. Not just a movie, a film. Finding a film worthy of my teacher's appreciation and to his knowledge that would actually work for the project was harder than I thought. I settled with Les Miserables. While my teacher has not seen it yet, I saw it mentioned on several sites, so I figured it would be worth the risk. 
As of right now, with about another page to write on the topic, I have watched one 7 minute scene 11 times. It still amazes me all of the little things you don't pick up on if you aren't watching very in depth.
I'm actually enjoying this project much more than I thought. Plus it's better than the advanced biology paper I have yet to do..

No comments:

Post a Comment